Forum - View topic
Astro Note (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I am happy that I put the pieces together when it looked like what was in the envelope. Ren looked longingly at a girl in a dress and actually seemed convicting that it was not because of a crush, and clearly they are all going to misunderstand whatever was in the envelope was a port thing. So I figured it will probably be a magazine in models but Ren is actually interested in looking or dressing like them, also noting the paying comment. When entered the changing room and saw the clothes, I knew it was a desire to wear them.

It is actually surprisingly progressive for a show that has such a retro feel to it, that it didn't in the least make appear to make fun of Ren for wanting to wear a girly skirt. But now that I think about it kind of already messes with some gender stuff. Teruko and Shoukichi pretty much have swapped personalities of their character archetypes. Teruko having the personality of like an old man (minus maybe the perve element), and Shoukichi is very moe sweet.

For the record, I have been half theorising that Shoin is gay. It might be just because he is super flamboyant, a bit of a stereotype but I also thought chances are they couldn't do it, but with the reveal of Ren I think it is more possible. Just an unlikely theory, but it will also be a possible explanation that he asked if he could eat the breakfast he makes, where we are meant to think that he is trying to get close to her because he is jealous, but will be a misdirect.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 6:18 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
The worst part about the scene dealing with Ren's desire to wear a skirt was the of backlash from homophic and transphobic people on Crunchyroll. The amount of sheer ignorance was pretty disturbing, though unsurprising.

That's disappointing to hear. I very rarely check CR comments so I was blissfully unaware. My own reading at ANN over the years has shown me that a number of anime fans do hold what I consider retrograde views which I find surprising only because even though anime is much more mainstream than it has ever been, it's still a bit of an esoteric experience which I would have thought would attract a generally more liberal viewership. But there is a pretty sizeable conservative contingent, for sure.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Wow, quite a lot of story and developments this time. The love story of the queen was quite something even if you do have to wonder how much of it has been embellished a tad. It was also interesting to learn more about the former caretaker and I agree, he was not someone who would regret anything, he was the type to enjoy things, maybe a bit too much even. The search for the key is also progressing a bit.

As for Takumi......well, he now knows the truth but the dude is not doing all that well.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Takumi is a simp. "Waah, waah, the chick I want as my private little squeeze-weasel is an alien, boo-hoo-hoo, think I'll make a crappy breakfast." No sympathy here given that he's got an adorable little cutie who inexplicably has the hots for him. Mira, don't waste your time: hook up with Shoin who I bet is far better equipped to service all your intergalactic love needs. Mira's mom seems like a hoot. Oh and the show resolved a question I had about timelines. I couldn't figure out why Mira was so young if her Mom had been Queen for decades. But time passes faster on Earth compared to Wido, so there you go.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 3:27 am Reply with quote
It is an issue I have had with several other romance anime too, you can have the mc be a bit of a dweeb or simp but there is a point at which it just becomes too pathetic to watch. This goes particularly when said mc has not taken any action of note but is mostly just lamenting and sighing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 5:54 am Reply with quote
We love a queen who can be melodramatic and a bit of a pain to her daughter.

Indeed Takumi is dweeb. He has supposed to have more character to him as a chef, so I would like him to be more than just whining about some girl he just decided needed fit some fantasy. There is after all already a gal who seems to be interest in him as a person.

And indeed Shoin is the more interesting guy. To the point it kind of feels a bit scary that he might turn out to be a villain. Although I will also keep to my other theory of why he is a bestie that is super suportive.

Other than that, I will say that it took until I think this episode for the charm to really rub off on me. Although, I am wondering if it is less Takumi that he appeared less in this episode that improved it for me. I am pretty sure at this point I like the dog more than him.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 7:42 am Reply with quote
Yah, Takumi is a dweeb. As I've mentioned before, the romantic male lead as a hapless puddle of good intentions is one of my least favorite anime tropes. Takumi is a little less irritating than I'd normally find him though, because of the lighthearted, unrealistic tone of the anime in general.

This show has a quality that is both annoying and part of its charm - and that is that all of the characters are purely what they are to the point of being extremes. On the one hand, this keeps the characters from being bland or passive, and the show's goofiness is part of its appeal. On the other, it sort of decreases the amount of emotional investment I can put into the drama, whether that means being caught up or bothered.

I'm not saying that I want the deadbeat dad to be drunk and self-loathing instead of Kramer, or that I want the cross dressing kid to be agonizing more about being outside the social norm, or that I want the idol to try to disguise her narcissism. I'm just saying, there's a simplicity to the characters that can be charming or unrealistic by degrees.

I like the show, there's no doubt about that.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 11:24 pm Reply with quote
This show is...quite absurd. As one of the few original anime this season, it has nothing holding it back so be ready for this anime to go places with its sci-fi comedy. this is its greatest strength, but also its greatest weakness. It is creative and unbridled chaos, but it's also unbridled chaos with some characters who become deeply annoying and kind of break the logic or what little logic there is in this show, but it's also way more interesting to talk about than most anime this season so I'm happy it exists.
zfunk

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 9:31 am Reply with quote
That episode was hard to watch. The male lead breaking a girl's heart, though as much as you might want to be mad at him, it is not his fault, he doesn't know, it is the dog's fault for meddling in other's people's affairs.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 11:53 am Reply with quote
You are not wrong but I am struggling to not dislike the mc due to how much of an annoying dweeb he is.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 4:02 am Reply with quote
It was a date, right? He got distracted as soon as he saw the other girl, did things like make promises to go do things later with her, and we didn't really see him interact with the girl he went with until the end.

I do continue to think he is the weakest part of the show, his goofy shtick just feels tired.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 5:43 am Reply with quote
I'm torn between feeling sorry for the shy girl and wondering if she's going to go psycho. Mostly sorry for her. It occurs to me that there was another show besides Maison Ikkoku that this show hearkens back to...there was that show about an alien princess who teleported into some some dude's bathtub, only the dynamic was a bit reversed. He was also a clueless putz, but he was in love with a short haired shy girl who looks a bit like ours, and the alien princess was kind of stalking him. And there was some alien commander dude who looks a lot like Shion now that I think about it. To Love Motto Ru, Or To Motto Love Ru. That show was also love triangle centric and goofy, though heavier on the fan service..

And yeah, I'm starting to hope for an episode where the dog gets caught by the Japanese equivalent of animal control.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 5:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

I feel very bad for Aoi-chan and unfortunately its decreasing my enjoyment of the show. I'd love to just be able to concentrate on the light-hearted hijinks but her story line bums me out. I hope the show comes up with a satisfying and happy resolution for her, but its kind of hard to imagine what that could be given that her and Takumi getting together seems super unlikely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3