Forum - View topic
NEWS: New MeTV Toons Channel Launches in Summer With Speed Racer, Marine Boy Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AshleyReya1999

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 12:17 pm Reply with quote
This is great news, nice to see they added retro anime on the lineup, hopefully we see more vintage anime shows on there. Very Happy
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 1:24 pm Reply with quote
That's pretty cool! I mean, Silverhawks!!!
Supermutant

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Not mentioned in the article is that site shows gobots as an image. Possibly being one of the shows. That of course ties to Machine Robo
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't post here as often as I should, but I want to point out that there are no plans for any other anime to air on the new network at this time, and even then, don't expect Gundam (1979) or Dragon Ball (1986) or Sailor Moon (1992) or anything like that. If anything, the network is more likely to show Kimba the White Lion (original 1960s dub with Billie Lou Watt) or something like that (don't want to say Astro Boy or Gigantor or Prince Planet, since this network is unlikely to show anything that's black and white, but I could be wrong). Gatchaman (1972)? Sadly, they're more likely to show "Battle of the Planets" (1979; one of the earliest "Macekres"), especially since Hoyt Curtain did (some of) the music on that one, plus Casey Kasem ("Ken the Eagle", or rather "Mark"), Janet Waldo ("Jun the Swan"/"Princess"), and Alan Young ("Jinpei the Swallow"/"Keyop") were three of the voice actors in that one. Heck, since Warner Bros. is involved, it's even more likely they might show the "G-Force" dub (co-produced by Turner Broadcasting) from the 1980s (although they were also called "G-Force" in the BOTP version)....
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Supermutant wrote:
Not mentioned in the article is that site shows gobots as an image. Possibly being one of the shows. That of course ties to Machine Robo

Oh, now that's interesting! GoBots is often tied up in legal complications between Warner Bros and Hasbro. I'm surprised they were able to agree on a TV broadcast like this. I wonder if other Hasbro properties will be on there like G.I.Joe and Transformers or even Jem? I'd love to see Inhumanoids on there, but that show might be a little too intense for the channel, it's a wonder it made it past the censors back in the day.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 10:07 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
I don't want to say Astro Boy or Gigantor or Prince Planet, since this network is unlikely to show anything that's black and white, but I could be wrong).

Oh they'll almost certainly show some black and white if they're gonna show Popeye and maybe some older Looney Tunes. Also one of the many things listed in the article is Betty Boop and I'm pretty sure all her stuff is B&W. So yeah I'd definitely not rule out Astro Boy or Gigantor.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 1:26 am Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
Gatchaman (1972)? Sadly, they're more likely to show "Battle of the Planets" (1979; one of the earliest "Macekres"), especially since Hoyt Curtain did (some of) the music on that one, plus Casey Kasem ("Ken the Eagle", or rather "Mark"), Janet Waldo ("Jun the Swan"/"Princess"), and Alan Young ("Jinpei the Swallow"/"Keyop") were three of the voice actors in that one. Heck, since Warner Bros. is involved, it's even more likely they might show the "G-Force" dub (co-produced by Turner Broadcasting) from the 1980s (although they were also called "G-Force" in the BOTP version)....
I'm doubtful they would stream anything Gatchaman related as Sentai currently has the rights to both Battle of the Planets and G-Force and has them both on HiDive. I actually think Sailor Moon could have a chance as Toei has put the show on more free apps lately. Like you can watch all the 90s anime and Crystal free on Pluto TV and YouTube. Though I agree it's a slim chance but not impossible. Definitely not Dragon Ball as that's owned by Crunchyroll and they're not going to share that with any free app.
I Am Audrey, how are you

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 2:09 am Reply with quote
To see this happen is amazing, my mom and I are definitely going to be watching Speed Racer together, she hasn’t watched it since it aired when she was a kid in the 60s, but thank you Crunchyroll and whoever founded MeTV, oh and WPXI Pittsburgh for making it a subchannel! (It’ll probably be 11.3 on Xfinity)
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 4:04 am Reply with quote
Wow! Looks like MeTV's going to show classic cartoons and some vintage anime. That's good and I hope it's watched a lot,especially by those who should know about them a lot more. It'll be pretty good and I hope it's soon.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 10:46 am Reply with quote
Yeah, so I forgot about Betty Boop (whose only color appearance was in Poor Cinderella, the first “Color Classic”), so it does seem likely that there might be B&W anime on this network after all. My bad.

Also, I'm obviously aware of who owns the N.A. distribution rights and licenses to all the other shows I mentioned, but it still wouldn’t stop this network from showing them if they wanted to, but again, it’s unlikely.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I would LOVE to see Battle Of The Planets on this channel. Even though both animation lovers and oddly enough baby boomers both HATE censorship (The only censorship on Looney Tunes is remove the racist jokes) I dont think they could get away with airing Gatchaman, since Berg Katse is the most ridicuously evil LGBT caricature ever. I think that would be just as off limits as the racism is.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to throw an oddball suggestion: the World Masterpiece Theatre shows are largely unknown in the Anglosphere, but their source material often isn't. This would be a great way to finally get them in front of people. I know Nippon Animation has been dumping HD remasters of their dubs onto random streaming services with little fanfare over the last few years.

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm doubtful they would stream anything Gatchaman related as Sentai currently has the rights to both Battle of the Planets and G-Force and has them both on HiDive. I actually think Sailor Moon could have a chance as Toei has put the show on more free apps lately. Like you can watch all the 90s anime and Crystal free on Pluto TV and YouTube. Though I agree it's a slim chance but not impossible. Definitely not Dragon Ball as that's owned by Crunchyroll and they're not going to share that with any free app.

This is a linear television network, not a streaming service. There's supposed to be a FAST channel, too, but it'll have a different lineup than the version available over-the-air and on pay-TV. Broadcast rights are generally separate (though, streaming services sometimes buy them, too, for exclusivity) so I don't think availability on Crunchyroll or Hidive would prevent MeTV from acquiring things they want. They're going after decades-old library titles, not the latest simulcasts.

The bigger issue would be the demographic this channel is aimed at. If their goal is squarely baby boomers, then there's not much anime they'd be familiar with. Outside of Speed Racer, it's more or less just Astroboy, Gigantor and Kimba, no? You'd need to start getting into the '80s and beyond to find more anime with nostalgic value in the U.S. They have some more recent shows in their lineup, but a lot of that's just from their Warner library deal (Krypto and Xiaolin Showdown being "only" 20 years old), so it's hard to say if that's an intentional focus.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Supermutant wrote:

Oh, now that's interesting! GoBots is often tied up in legal complications between Warner Bros and Hasbro. I'm surprised they were able to agree on a TV broadcast like this. I wonder if other Hasbro properties will be on there like G.I.Joe and Transformers or even Jem? I'd love to see Inhumanoids on there, but that show might be a little too intense for the channel, it's a wonder it made it past the censors back in the day.

Emerje

This is not a kids channel, it's aimed at baby boomers and they HATE censorship and they were the generation that made Bonnie And Clyde and The Wild Bunch a success, if it doesnt have racism it wont be censored.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 8:42 pm Reply with quote
YagamiBlackstone255 wrote:
This is not a kids channel, it's aimed at baby boomers and they HATE censorship and they were the generation that made Bonnie And Clyde and The Wild Bunch a success, if it doesnt have racism it wont be censored.

You're acting like old cartoons like these weren't still readily airing on TV all the way until the early 2000s. Anyone born in the 80s & early 90s will tell you that they grew up on a lot of these older cartoons, especially stuff like Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry, as they were still getting aired on TV on a regular basis, and early Cartoon Network was built almost exclusively on re-airing old cartoons alongside the original content CN would produce.

MeTV Toons is something that'll appeal to not just baby boomers but also generations up to millennials, at the very least, with the ideal goal being for those very millennials to show these older cartoons to their own kids.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
YagamiBlackstone255 wrote:

You're acting like old cartoons like these weren't still readily airing on TV all the way until the early 2000s. Anyone born in the 80s & early 90s will tell you that they grew up on a lot of these older cartoons, especially stuff like Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry, as they were still getting aired on TV on a regular basis, and early Cartoon Network was built almost exclusively on re-airing old cartoons alongside the original content CN would produce.

MeTV Toons is something that'll appeal to not just baby boomers but also generations up to millennials, at the very least, with the ideal goal being for those very millennials to show these older cartoons to their own kids.

You missed the important part. I know millenials and gen x'ers will love it too. But the important part that I intended is that this is NOT KIDS CHANNEL . Boomers, Millenials, and Gen'xers are all adults. This channel was made because the 25 to 54 watched more Toon In With Me than they did "Seinfeld and The Office on Comedy Central, Law & Order on USA, and Friends on Nick at Nite in the 25-54-year-old demo."

I know obviously kids will probably watch it and LOVE IT A LOT, but the real demographic are adults. This is great because the FCC regulates advertising at kids WAY MORE strictly than show actually aimed at older demographics. They can sell more ad space for way more money this way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2